I started to think "is there really anyway to lighten my favorite dishes and not lose any flavor?" According to the American Heart/American Stroke Association there is a way to not compromise the flavor of our favorites! Here are a few tips...
1. Go with mashed sweet potatoes instead of white. Sweet potatoes are a great source of Vitamin A, C, potassium, and fiber. I've always been a sweet potato gal, so that's an easy one right there (we'll pretend the almond, brown sugary goodness on top is healthy, too)!
2. Load up on veggies. This is more of an every day note, but toss in more celery, onions or carrots to the stuffing. Maybe make a fresh cranberry relish (something my mom does really well!).
3. Cut down on some of the bread or opt for whole wheat.
4. Sacrifice fat, not flavor. Low-fat Buttermilk or Low-Sodium Chicken Broth is a great way to get the same deliciousness with less calories.
5. Limit the amount of salt you use - toss a little over the shoulder for good luck, instead of into the stuffing.
Hopefully these tips will help with your Thanksgiving preparations.
From all of us at Jimmy Beans Wool, we wish you a happy, healthy Thanksgiving!